DREAMers Arrested in Nationwide Gang Crackdown
“Federal immigration officials arrested nearly 1,400 gang members in a nationwide 6-week operation, including illegal immigrants gang members who had protected status under the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program.
Altogether, 1,378 gang members were arrested by the Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) agency, 1,098 of which already have federal or state criminal charges against them, according to a news release. Twenty-one of the members had pending murder charges against them, while another seven were facing rape allegations. The other 280 were arrested for being in the U.S. illegally.
Three of the gang members arrested in the ICE operation had protected status as illegal immigrants under the Obama-era DACA program. Since DACA’s inception, more than 1,500 illegal immigrants have had their protected status revoked after they were found to be involved with a gang or committed a crime.
DACA recipients are given protection by the federal government and since the Trump Administration has not ended the program, experts like Mark Krikorian have previously said that 800 new permits for protected DACA status can be granted by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) every day.
“They’re still processing these work permits,” Krikorian told Breitbart Texas at the time. “That’s got to end at the absolute minimum.”
Additionally, of the 1,478 gang members arrested, 10 of them had crossed the U.S.-Mexico Brder as unaccompanied minors. Of those 10, nine were confirmed gang members and eight of those 10 were MS-13 specifically.
Most recently, Breitbart Texas reported on the continued resettlement of foreign unaccompanied minors into MS-13-prone regions of the U.S., despite experts pointing to evidence that this process allows foreign crime syndicates to flourish.
Since the beginning of the Fiscal Year, October 1, 2016, 651 unaccompanied minors were placed in Nassau County, which is home to one of the largest growing MS-13 gang population’s in the U.S. In neighboring Suffolk County, which has a widespread MS-13 gang problem in Brentwood and Central Islip, approximately 915 have been resettled in the region.”
….Continue reading more @ Breitbart
DHS Arrests Nearly 1,400 Suspected Gang Members
“U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) concluded a targeted nationwide gang operation which was the largest ever conducted by Homeland Security Investigations (HSI).
The six-week nationwide crackdown on gangs took place from March 26 through May 6 and resulted in 1,378 arrests of which 1,095 were confirmed gang members and affiliates, according to a statement from ICE.
Of the 1,378 total arrests, 445 were foreign nationals from 21 countries spread across five continents around the world. Of those arrested, “137 affiliated with the Bloods, 118 with the Sureños, 104 with MS-13, and 104 with the Crips. The remaining 283 claimed no gang affiliation but were arrested on either criminal or administrative charges,” ICE noted.
The operation specifically targeted gang members that were suspected to be involved in drug trafficking, sex trafficking, weapons smuggling, human smuggling, racketeering, and murder.
The operation led to the seizure of 238 firearms, 546.96 ounces of methamphetamine, 790.15 ounces of cocaine, 113.42 ounces of heroin, 1.59 ounces of fentanyl, 8,019.46 ounces of marijuana, and $491,763.
ICE Acting Director Thomas Homan noted that gangs threaten not only large cities but also small and rural communities.
“Gangs threaten the safety of our communities, not just in major metropolitan areas but in our suburbs and rural areas, too,” Homan said. “Gang-related violence and criminal activity present an ongoing challenge for law enforcement everywhere. Our efforts to dismantle gangs are much more effective in areas where partnership with local law enforcement is strongest.”
….Continue reading more @ Breitbart
DUI suspect who struck family returning from Disneyland deported 15 times in 15 years
|| U-T San Diego
“Mexican man who has been deported at least 15 times pleaded not guilty Wednesday to a felony drunken driving crash in San Ysidro that fractured the skull of a 6-year-old boy.
Lennox Lake’s parents didn’t go to court for the arraignment, preferring to stay at their son’s bedside at Rady Children’s Hospital. “He’s a tough kid,” father Benjamin Lake said. “He wants to go home, to his brothers, his dog, to play on his computer and go to the park.”
But Lennox will have to stay at the hospital for at least nine more days while he receives antibiotics for a common strep infection that set in after surgery to repair his skull, his family said.
The boy was knocked unconscious and wasn’t breathing when a pickup slammed into his parents’ Honda Accord late Saturday night as they returned from a day at Disneyland. Lake and his wife, Ingrid, suffered minor injuries.
Constantino Banda-Acosta, 38, is suspected of speeding through a stop sign on Camino de la Plaza at Dairy Mart Road in San Ysidro and plowing his pickup into the side of the Accord. Then, authorities say, he kept going.
He was arrested about a mile away, where Border Patrol agents found him in the damaged pickup with a passenger.
Immigration officials say Banda-Acosta, 38, has been returned to Mexico at least 15 times since 2002 for being in the U.S. illegally, most recently in January.
Banda-Acosta entered his not guilty plea in Chula Vista Superior Court to felony charges of driving under the influence of alcohol, driving with a blood-alcohol level of more than 0.08 percent and hit-and-run, and a misdemeanor charge of driving without a license. If convicted, he faces a possible sentence of seven years and eight months in prison.
Chula Vista police said they arrested Banda-Acosta twice on charges of domestic violence against his wife, on April 9, 2006, and this year on Jan. 9. According to court records, he pleaded guilty to misdemeanor domestic battery in 2007 and spent time in county jail.
The records also show he has convictions for driving on a suspended license and a 2006 misdemeanor DUI conviction for which he was placed on probation for five years.”
….Continue reading more @ U-T San Diego
California eyes herbicide compound for carcinogen list
|| Capitol Weekly
“California is deciding whether to add a popular herbicide’s ingredient to the list of officially recognized cancer-causing compounds — a move that has run into a legal road block.
At issue is glyphosate, which for decades has been a prime compound in the Monsanto Company’s herbicide Roundup.
In March, the state Office of Environmental Health Hazard Assessment announced plans to recommend adding glyphosate to its list of substances included in warning labels, as required by voters under Proposition 65. These labels list compounds known to the state of California to cause cancer.
Glyphosate had been expected to be included, but that action may be contingent on the result of a lawsuit brought by Monsanto in 2015 to block the listing, according to OEHHA spokesman Sam Delson.
The lawsuit has put the brakes on the effort to list glyphosate as a carcinogen — at least for now.
Among those anxious for a listing is Harvey Makishima, the CEO of an advocacy group called Public Awareness for Preventative Health Care, which seeks to ban the substance statewide.
Monsanto’s suit to block the listing of glyphosate was dismissed by a Fresno County Superior Court judge earlier this year, Delson said.”
…Continue reading more @ CapitolWeekly.com